Frogmore House is a currently unoccupied royal residence that lies in the private park of Windsor Castle. The house has special links to Queen Victoria as the gardens and building itself were a popular retreat for her during her reign. The house is also the location of the of the Mausoleum which is The Queen’s final resting place, alongside her husband Prince Albert.
First built between 1680 and 1684 the house came into royal ownership in the 16th century
after being purchased by King Henry VIII.
During the houses inhabited years a number of monarchs and their families stayed there including King George III and Queen Charlotte in 1792 and Queen Victoria’s mother, The Duchess of Kent in 1841. In 1923 The Duke and Duchess of York (later King George VI and Queen Elizabeth) spent part of their honeymoon here.
Today the house is occasionally used for royal functions. The gardens have days in which members of the public may come and view the beautiful grounds and guided tours are also available.